Nestled in the centre of the Sacred Valley, Ollantaytambo is a fantastic little town that provides a great destination to stopover en route to Machu Picchu.
The town is conveniently situated near the railway that takes visitors from Cusco to Machu Picchu and is also very close to the starting point for Inca Trail trekkers.
Because Ollantaytambo is 1,000m below Cusco (which is 3,400m above sea level), it provides a very good location to begin the acclimatisation process. In fact many visitors to the region travel directly to the Sacred Valley after landing in Cusco to reduce the likelihood of experiencing altitude sickness.
In this short article we have provided reviews and recommendations on the best hotels in Ollantaytambo.
To help you find a hotel / hostel that is right for your tastes and budget we have separated our recommendations into three categories – cheap and cheerful, more comfort, and luxury / premium.
Ollantaytambo Accommodation Options
Cheap and Cheerful
Hostal La Casa Del Abuelo (Book Now)
Managed by a very friendly couple – Cathy and Henry – this hotel is great value for money. Service is top-notch and rooms are very comfortable. Great location near Olantaytambo ruins and 10 minute walk from the train station.
Costs: Room prices with breakfast included range from $50 for a standard twin room to $60 for a family room.
Ideal for: Travellers looking for amazing value for money.
Main selling factor: Great personal touch from the owner-managers. Very good location and super affordable for the price.
Hostal Iskay (Book Now)
Rustic hotel in the centre of the historic town of Ollantaytambo. Service is excellent. Rooms are basic but come with brilliant mountain views (particularly room 6!)
Costs: Room prices with breakfast included range from $34 for a standard single room to $43 for a double / triple room.
Ideal for: Budget travellers looking for a hotel a step above your average hostel
Main selling factor: Great views, a good a breakfast and super affordable price.
Other Good Cheap and Cheerful Hotels
- Hostal Chaska Wasi: Definition of cheap and cheerful. 6-bed dorm room cost ~$11 a night, twin room ~$24 a night
- Ollantaytampu Hostel: Comfortable hostel with fun staff. Twin or Double with shared bathroom ~$20, or with private bathroom ~$35
- Janaxpacha Backpackers Guest houses: Quaint backpackers lodge. Good value. ~$24 for a single, $38 for a double
- Casa de Mama Cusco Valle Hotel: Basic but more comfortable for the price. ~$25-$60
- Hostal Los Andenes: Loads of character, fantastic staff, amazing mountain views from the rooms. ~$50-$70 a night
- Las Orquideas Ollantaytambo Hotels: Right in the centre of town. Clean and comfortable rooms. ~$45-$60
Hostal Sauce (Book Now)
Hostel Sauce is a great little hotel. Expect basic, but clean and comfortable rooms, great service and good views. Ideal location near the historic centre and train station.
Costs: Room prices with breakfast included range from $80 for a standard single room, $100 for a double and $140 for a triple room.
Ideal for: Couples and families looking for a laid back and relaxing stay in the Sacred Valley
Main selling factor: Great location, good breakfast and very accommodating staff.
Other ‘More Comfort’ Hotels
- Picaflor Tambo Bed And Breakfast: Great little B&B in a good location. Quiet and perfect for couples and families. ~$60-$90 per night
- Tunupa Lodge Hotel: A little out of town, a quaint and comfortable hotel. ~$60-$70 a night
- Tikawasi Valley Hotel: Central, friendly and good value for money! ~$40 or a single, ~$55-$75 for a double
- Hotel Pisonay Pueblo: Closer to Urubamba than Ollantaytambo, a great hotel. ~$60 for a twin / double. ~110 for a suite
Premium and Luxury
El Albergue Ollantaytambo: (Book Now)
By far the best hotel to stay at in Ollantaytambo. Great rooms, fantastic food, excellent service, brilliant location if you want to be near the train station and amazing mountain views (Room 15 and 16 have the best views!). The garden is super nice as well.
Costs: Room prices with breakfast included range from $90 for a standard double or triple to $160 for a superior room with a balcony and mountain view.
Ideal for: Couples and families. Great for visitors to Machu Picchu as the train is a 2 minute walk away.
Main selling factor: Best value for money in the luxury category. 5-Star service and rooms. Great mountain views. A little way outside of Ollantaytambo town, which can be seen as a benefit or negative
Hotel Pakaritampu (Book Now)
Hotel Pakaritampu is an excellent hotel conveniently located near Ollantaytambo ruins, with quick access to the train station. The rooms, amenities and food are what you would expect from a good quality 4-star hotel.
Costs: Room prices with breakfast included range from $150 for a twin /double room, to $170 for a superior room
Ideal for: Ideal for couples looking for extra comfort during their visit to the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu
Main selling factor: Great location, lovely and tranquil grounds. Very nice rooms and brilliant service
Still have questions about the best hotels in Ollantaytambo Peru? Leave a comment below and we will respond within 24 hours. If you have stayed in one of these hotels and would like to leave a review please do so below. Alternatively if you would like to suggest more hotels please contact us.
Tags: Best Hotels in Ollantaytambo, Ollantaytambo Hotels, Ollantaytambo Hostel, Sacred Valley Hotels, Ollantaytambo Lodge
References: (1) TripAdvisor, (2) Personal Experience, (3) Agoda, (4) Hotels.com