MachuPicchuTrek.net is the leading online resource for trekkers and visitors to Machu Picchu. The site is maintained by a number of trekking experts in the region and is provided as a Free and Independent information resource.
There is a wealth of information on the site. To help you navigate quickly and effectively to key sections of the site we have written this site map.
Trails and Treks to Machu Picchu
For a complete overview on treks to Machu Picchu, including the Classic Inca Trail and alternative trails, please see:
Alternatively, you can navigate to individual and detailed trail guides:
- Classic Inca Trail
- Salkantay Trek and Salkantay / Inca combo
- Lares Trek and it’s variations
- Choquequirao Trek and it’s variations
- Vilcabamba Trek and it’s variations
- Inca Jungle Trek – for adventure-seekers
- Huchuy Qosqo Trek – for people with limited trekking time
Your can also find a detailed overview on all alternative treks to Machu Picchu here.
Once you arrive at Machu Picchu we highly recommend getting a birds-eye view of the site. You can do this by climbing Huayna Picchu (aka Wayna Picchu or Wayna Pikchu), Machu Picchu Mountain (aka Cerro Machu Picchu), Putukusi Mountain (or Happy Mountain), or indeed, walking to Inti Punku (the Sun Gate). Here is a detailed article on all these options:
Tour Operator Recommendations
There are literally 100s of Machu Picchu trekking companies. Finding a reliable on-the-ground operator who is not an agent or local guiding company of questionable repute, can be challenging. We work with a number of leading on-the-ground operators who offer brilliant value services and have impeccable reputations. If you would like to get a tour operator recommendation please complete this form.
Other Useful Information
Below are links to our most frequently viewed and searched for information:
- The Ultimate Inca Trail Packing List – Super practical guide that will ensure you have everything you need for your Machu Picchu Trek. The Packing list is relevant for all trails (including alternative treks) to Machu Picchu
- The Complete Machu Picchu Altitude Sickness and Acclimatisation Guide – Everything you could possibly want to know about altitude sickness and acclimatisation as it relates to treks to Machu Picchu – a MUST READ
- Trekking and Travel Insurance for Machu Picchu – A detailed guide on the type of trekking insurance you will need for Machu Picchu (hint: it’s not standard travel insurance) – another MUST READ for all trekkers and visitors to Cusco and Machu Picchu
- Best time to Trek to Machu Picchu – Historical weather patterns in Machu Picchu and explanation on when is best to book your Machu Picchu trek
- How to Get to Machu Picchu – Detailed guidance on the various ways to get to Machu Picchu, including trekking options, trains, buses and other methods
- The Definitive List of Machu Picchu Facts – An entertaining list of fun, interesting and downright mystical facts about Machu Picchu
- Recommended Reading Materials – A synthesis of the best guidebooks and historical books on Machu Picchu and the Incas
Most Popular Blog Content
Check out our Machu Picchu blog where we share the latest news and views on Machu Picchu, the region and trekking.